Costa Maya Real Estate Buyer Series: Car Ownership Facts In Mexico

One of the perks of owning Costa Maya real estate is the vast amount OF things to see and do in the local area. Roads in the area are well connected and the highway that runs along the coast of the Yucatan Peninsula has been recently renovated to make car travel even easier.

The unpaved beach road that cuts through the Costa Maya real estate is best handled in a 4-wheel drive vehicle and offers an amazing view of the ocean for miles on end. In order to enjoy Mexico by car, there are a few things to consider before hitting the road.

Driver’s License:

A US driver’s license is considered valid for driving anywhere in Mexico. If you purchased your Costa Maya real estate as an investment or a vacation home and will be returning to the States often, keeping your US driver’s license current is all you’ll need to drive legally in Mexico.

If you’ve purchased Costa Maya real estate and consider it your primary home, might want to get a Mexican driver’s license. However, if you’re still considered a resident of the US, you’ll want to keep your American driver’s license current as well.

Importing a car:

If you’ll be residing on your Costa Maya real estate and are thinking about brining you car, there are several steps you’ll need to take if you’re planning on registering it. Each person can import only one vehicle in their name. To enjoy all of the benefits of owning Costa Maya real estate you may want to bring an RV. There is an exception to the single person, single registration rule if you’re driving a motor home and towing a car. In this case you can obtain a registration for both vehicles in your name.

The registration you get when importing a vehicle is temporary. You’ll need to continue to renew it and if you leave before the registration ends, it’s important to stop at the DMV at the border and cancel the registration. If you don’t, when you return to enjoy your Costa Maya real estate again you’ll appear as if you already have an imported car registered in Mexico.

Car insurance in Mexico:

It is mandatory to have Mexican car insurance when driving in Mexico. Your US or Canadian liability insurance won’t be valid in Mexico. There are many places to obtain temporary Mexican car insurance but if you’ve purchased Costa Maya real estate, you’ll probably want to look for a company that specializes is traditional (not temporary) auto insurance.

Some US auto insurance companies offer property damage coverage for a few miles inside the border of Mexico. This coverage is extremely limited so it’s important to include property damage coverage on insurance if you want to cover the value of your car. By adding property damage to you your Mexican auto insurance policy you can rest assured that your car is completely covered while you enjoy your Costa Maya real estate.

With a little research and planning, getting your driving paperwork in order won’t take a lot time and much of it can be done online. After that it’s time to set of from your own little slice of Costa Maya real estate to enjoy all of the natural beauty of the Yucatan Peninsula.

This entry was posted in Real Estate. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *